Cold weather and low humidity strip the skin and hair of its natural moisture inwinter. Your skin care regimen in winter should aim at preserving the natural moisture of the skin and hair. Here are some essential tips as suggested by Dr Rinky Kapoor, cosmetic dermatologist and co-founder of The Esthetic Clinics, that you need to follow.
• Cover your head when you leave your house and oil and condition your hair more frequently.
• Warm up some olive oil or coconut oil and apply on the scalp for an hour and then wash off, twice a week or so. This will help condition the hair and reduce frizz.
• Use moisturising shampoos and post shampoo, use leave-in conditioners and serums if you have very dry hair.
• Tie up the hair and try not to leave it open for very long to prevent dryness.
• Hair treatments like hair spas at the salon may help those who have very dry hair.
• Those with thick unmanageable hair may benefit with the cysteine treatment which helps the hair to soften and reduces frizz in the hair.
• Those with coloured hair must use sulphate free shampoos and appropriate conditioners advised post the procedure to improve the appearance and maintenance of the colour.
• Dandruff and dry scalp are very common in winter. It is best to consult your dermatologist.