Coffee is a fermented drink prepared from roasted coffee beans. It is served with or without milk or cream. It is one of the most widely consumed psychoactive substances in the world. Coffee has been known for it contradictory health effects which are highly debated.
Some benefits of coffee are-
- Coffee boosts physical performance as it releases adrenaline, the fight or flight hormone.
- Coffee helps lose weight since it contains magnesium and potassium, which helps the human body utilize insulin.
- Coffee helps in focusing and staying alert.
- Coffee lowers the risk of death. The overall risk of premature death is 25% lower of a coffee drinker as studies shows.
- Coffee reduces risk of cancers as caffeine prevents in development of basal cell carcinoma, the most familiar type of skin cancer.
- Coffee reduces risk of stroke.
- Coffee lowers risk of Type II diabetes.
- Coffee protects your brain because it reduces the risk of Alzheimer disease.
- Coffee cheers up mood, helps battle depression and lowers the threat of suicide.
Risks of drinking coffee are-
- Bad coffee is toxic since it can cause sickness, headache or a general bad feeling.
- Coffee can take a life if drunk 80-100 cups in a short period.
- Coffee causes insomnia and restlessness if you consume more than 400 milligrams of coffee in a day.
- Coffee for kids may increase enuresis, that is, bedwetting.
- It is harmful for foetus and therefore should be avoided by the pregnant mother.
Why Roasting Impacts the Health Benefits of Coffee Beans
Scientists that dark roast is the most effective than light roasted because it has a stronger antioxidant effect than light roast due to the following reasons-
- The darkness of your coffee comes from the discolouration of a bean. A new research done by Molecular Nutrition & Food Research established that dark roast coffee restored blood level of the antioxidant vitamin E and glutathione more successfully than light roast coffee.
- Moreover, dark roast coffee may be easier on your stomach. This is for the reason that it produces more of a chemical, N-methylpyridinium, which prevents the stomach cells from generating excess acid.
- The caffeine content in coffee also varies according to the roasting level. A higher level of roasting means lesser caffeine content. Since caffeine is said to be toxic and damaging for health, the dark roasted coffee beans are a better option.
However, a coffee that is highly roasted loses some of the benefits because of the chlorogenic acid is lost through the roasting method.
Coffee Quality is Important
Poor-quality coffee can cause wakefulness and agitation. Therefore, to ensure that you achieve all the healing benefits from coffee, consider only the following type of coffees-
- Whole bean
- Properly dried and roasted
Hence, coffee, no doubt, deserves the second place for the beverage obsession because of it highly appealing qualities.